Senior Service Designer Full Time / Permanent (but open to flexible and hybrid working).
We’re looking for an experienced senior service designer who understands the role within a government or NHS setting.
Initially you’ll be working with us on the NHS vaccines programme.
Although you’ll be working with us embedded with a rainbow team within NHS digital initially, you will also be a part of Hive’s research and design team, with the chance to work on all sorts of projects and sectors.
A great deal of our work comes from healthcare and government departments looking for work done in line with the GDS or NHS service standards. This allows us to dedicate time to our tech4good projects with local and national charities, as well as more traditional agency work.
As a service designer who’s worked at a senior level, you’ll be experienced designing and documenting the end-to-end journey of services, working closely with user researchers and senior stakeholders, and in carrying out discovery work to set the direction for projects.
- Have experience in designing services for users in complex environments
- Have experience in making effective decisions with user research data
- Have experience of working with senior stakeholders and ability to negotiate important design decisions
- Have experience of engaging with people in a variety of ways (eg, workshops or co-design activities)
Have an understanding of the importance of inclusive, equitable, accessible and sustainable public services.
Core skills for this role
You’ll probably have most of these skills - but if you’re right for us we can support you to fill any gaps!
- Workshop planning and facilitation
- Creating personas, user journeys and service blueprints
- Co-creation sessions with stakeholders and users
- Understanding and working with user research
- Making decisions and recommendations based on user research
- Working closely with user researchers to plan, observe and analyse user research
- Designing end-end services
- Working closely and collaboratively with your team to design end to end services, online and offline
- Creating service maps and blueprints
- Communicating your findings
- Clearly communicating what you’ve found, verbally or in written form
- Crafting recommendations to solve the needs identified
- Using research findings to solve problems or recommend approaches
- Experience with agile ways of working
- We use a variety of ways of working, but an agile, pragmatic mindset is essential
Nice to have skills for this role
These are all skills you’ll develop working with us anyway, but it won’t hurt if you’ve already got them!
- Working with the GDS service standard
- Prototyping skills - digital, paper or code based
- Experience working with large, complex services
- Leadership and mentoring skills
- Helping respond to sales opportunities, proposals and pitches
Our core values focus on:
- Having an inclusive one-team ethos
- Acting ethically and with understanding
- A love of creative problem solving
- Always forward-thinking and learning new things
- Being friendly and honest with each other
Diversity and Inclusion
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our organisation and in the work we do. We welcome and encourage applications from underrepresented groups who can bring more diversity to our work and thinking.
It really depends on you, but you can expect to be earning £45-£55k per year in a senior position.
We’re based in Sheffield, in the historic Beehive Works, a listed former cutlery works from the 1850s. You don’t have to be local though - as long as you can get to Sheffield, and to client locations, when needed, that’s OK. It’s also up to you whether you work from home or our studio, and how often - we’re completely flexible.